Thursday, February 27, 2014

Thing 23

Well I went through all 23 Things and had a good time doing it.  I had some limitations using my Kindle Fire but all my kids have phones or tablets that I could use.  I learned a lot, found some new things, and I'll continue to use some of the apps I found and I'll dump some of the others that didn't perform as well as I hoped.

I think it is important to stay up-to-date on the new technology. I want to know what people are talking about.  I hate sounding like a dummy.  I want to find common ground with our patrons, especially the kids who can't imagine common ground with someone my age.  I think they are sometimes surprised that to find that old people play video games and text and know about the newest YouTube sensations, but then again, we find common ground comparing hand-made rubber band bracelets too.  I think the library has to keep up with technology and use it to serve our patrons but we cannot abandon tradition either.  So I can teach a traditional craft while explaining how to find information and help about said craft on the internet.  In small towns like mine, the library is a community center.  We pass out information, but we also provide opportunities for our patrons to get to know their neighbors, be entertained, and just have a warm and welcoming place to go.  Technology alone can isolate people.  It's fun to have Facebook friends from around the world but it's also good to know the people who live next door.

I think the creators of this program did a good job putting it all together considering how many different devices and formats there are in use today. I can see potential library uses for some of the apps.  I downloaded several free books while doing one of the Things and I will probably read some of them but I still prefer to real an old-fashioned book.  I didn't like using the small screen and while I have a stylus to help me, I don't like typing on the Kindle.  I prefer a regular keyboard.  Touch typing is becoming obsolete.  It will soon be one more thing to teach the neighborhood children, like rotary phone dialing, and line drying laundry.  I want to use technology (I have to use it) but I don't want it to take over my life.  I was semi-serious about being a Luddite.  I did the other two 23 Things on library computers because we didn't have one at home but I have to have some computer skills for my job and for simply dealing with the changing world.

This is the third 23 Things program I have done and I have recommended them to my co-workers.  I would gladly do more.  I like being able to work at my own pace.  It was more play than work.  This was a program even a Luddite would love.  I guess that's the one sentence to describe my 23 Mobile Things experience.  I doubt that will be a good promotional sentence.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations 23 Mobile Things Rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you were able to learn a Thing or two during your experience with 23 Mobile Things!

    ReplyDelete